Sunday 20 August 2017

Workshops on the Water

      I love learning a new skill in the field of crafts or art. This year is no different. In Montague, the old train station has been turned into a visitor centre, restaurant and in one large space, houses the Workshops on the Water. Linda, the proprietor, is a lovely woman who schedules a wide variety of workshops that are "fine art, fine craft, fine learning".

     I participated in a workshop on how to make heritage floor cloths. I have always wanted to learn this. During the two-day workshop, we were taught about preparing, painting and glazing a canvas to make a floor cloth. We learnt a variety of methods to create different looks. There were 7 ladies in the class with varying levels of painting skills. These women came from all over. One was from the States who has a summer home on PEI, three were friends who grew up together close by -- one of them works in the Northwest Territories during the winter but comes home every summer -- and another participant is from the west side of the island. It is wonderful to meet new people and learn why and how they are in the area. Every story is different just like their floor cloths -- all different!

     All we had to do was bring an idea of what we wanted to paint on our canvas. My inspiration for my floor cloth came from a beautiful rug that I saw in the Montague Museum and I chose to use the colours of my kitchen in Newmarket I had renovated three years ago (has it really been three years? -- Wow!).

     I had a wonderful time working on my floor cloth. The instructor, Margot, came all the way from Rockport, Ontario to teach us the techniques. 
This is the rug that was my inspiration for the pattern.
It is a rug that is on display in the Garden of the Gulf Museum in Montague
The colours of my rug was taken from the colours I had in my newly
renovated kitchen in Newmarket, Ontario

     Below are photos of the progress of my floor cloth. Of course, my design was time consuming and I had to develop a certain way of making it look similar to the swirls in the original rug. I think it worked out quite well. Try something new! It may be your new hobby.

Lots of measurements and lines drawn along with lots of taping to paint the design
Working hard but having fun!

The design is progressing

Lots more to go!

Looking at the progress

At the end of the two days. Painting is done but I still need to trim the cloth,
put a "wash" on it and then glaze.

The finished product.

Here is a close up of the design


1 comment:

  1. that is fantastic Bev, your talent is only exceeded by your grace and superb blog.

    ReplyDelete